Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"White Wave of Mercy" / Extremes 4: Darkest Africa anthology / February 2002

Preliminary Ballot nominee for the 2002 Bram Stoker Award
I'm pretty proud of this one. I've been wanting to write something for one of Extremes anthologies published by the now-defunct Lone Wolf Publications for a long time, but was always too intimidated. You see, the stories must take place outside of the US, and be well researched. Editor Brian A. Hopkins (also known as "BAH" for his initials) is a research junkie. That, plus the man's one of the best writers out in the market today. All that makes for a daunting task. I did a whole lot 'o learning for this one, even went so far as to buy (and read) a book on the Mbuti Pygmies. The theme of "White Wave..." is one I've been thinking a lot about lately. One day I asked the old "what would happen if..." question, and came up with one possible answer. My brain finally said "Hey! There's an African Extremes antho coming up you dolt! Now's your chance! Write it." So, taking the only scene I had in my head, of a boy on a remote tropical island seeing the spectre of a white person hovering before him, transplanting him into the Congo, and asking my question, "How far would an agency like the United Nations go if the AIDS epidemic in Africa, currently infecting MORE than a quarter of the entire sub-saharan population, continues on its present course to a level where 75% have/had the disease?" I hope I've, at least subtly, answered the question - at least from on man's perspective... This story was selected for preliminary ballot of the 2002 Bram Stoker award, which is always a nice thing.

No comments: