Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"Selection" / of Flesh and Hunger e-anthology / February 2003

So, I was invited to write for a cannibalism anthology, and I'd just completed a zombie story. How could I face Eaters of Meat so soon? Make it a science fiction story. Yep. Took the leap. I'd recently been invited to submit a sci-fi story to a magazine I'd once been published in, but I was fine tuning the novel and in the middle of two other stories, so my brain decided it didn't want to write anything sci-fi-ish.... at least not then. As time when on I kept thinking about a sci-fi-ish plot that had been rolling around in my head, so I decided to try applying it to the cannibalism theme of the upcoming anthology. What I ended up with was a hybrid story, part horror, part science fiction. It came out pretty good, all modesty aside. The editor had a time finding a publisher, but finally made a deal with Double Dragon, e-books. Yea, an ebook not print, and you would think Double Dragon, having done hundreds of e-books (almost exclusively), would know how to out one together, but the anthology is pretty bare bones feature-wise. You basically have to scroll to get to reach story, and the table of contents doesn't tell you what page the stories are on. So it could have been put together a lot better, for sure. Still, it's inexpensive, just a few bucks, and John Lawson has gathered some cool authors, including Paul Tremblay, Jeffrey Thomas, Scott Thomas (yep, brothers), Kurt Newton and a lot of other great writers. "Selection" was later sold to Cemetery Dance Magazine (see above).

No comments: