Monday, January 18, 2021

"The Bridge" / On Spec / Published June 2021


Wow, it has been a long time since I've gotten a story sale - of course it's been a long time since I'd written short stories. In the past decade I've focused pretty exclusively, fiction-wise, on the long form - novels. As I've been moving into the science fiction genre, which is not an easy market to crack, short stories have proven to be a great way to reflex some muscles and try out stories that keep nagging at me.

On Spec is a major science fiction market, based out of Canada. And my story "The Bridge" is a rather epic tale I'd written thirteen years earlier. Yes, thirteen. Now the story that On Spec has purchased is not the same one I'd typed "The End" to all those years ago. It has been refined quite a bit, and much of that refinement from editors who liked the piece over the years but in a "close but..." frame of mind. Still, I had considered retiring the piece more than once, but would read it again, and say no, this is a great story, it just needs to hit the desk of the right editor (and yes, after some edits and tweaks - you don't need to do every suggestion you're given, but you should always listen when it's offered). When this piece got moved from the slush to the final editorial board for a decision, the slush reader's comments were wonderful: they actually got what I was doing. Even if the story didn't get bought, that in itself would have been a nice feeling. But it was bought, and that's just icing on the cake.

"The Bridge" appeared in issue #116, released June 2021

"'The Bridge' was a haunting story where mankind has become pawns of an alien race’s war. It was a good read. - Tangent Online

No comments: